Monday, January 18, 2010Resetting Folder Permissions
If you continue to see a status of 'Installation Failed' when attempting to install or update addons, you may need to reset the folder permissions on your game folder.
How to Reset Folder Permissions
Follow these steps to set the permissions on your your game folder, and reset the permissions on all its children:
- From Curse Client v5, right click on the game in the sidebar and select the 'Open Game Folder' menu item.
- Right click on the white space of the folder / file listing, and select Properties.
- Select the 'Security' tab, and click the 'Advanced' button.
- Click the 'Edit' button.
- If you see a permission entry for 'Users' with 'Full Control' permissions skip to step 7. If not, click the 'Add' button and enter 'Users' (If you are a member of a Windows domain, make sure the location is set to your local computer. ex: 'Michael'). Click the 'OK' button.
- Check the 'Full Control' permission in the 'Allow' column and click the 'OK' button'
- Check the 'Replace all existing inheritable permissions...' checkbox, then click the 'OK' button.
Incompatible Antivirus Software
If you're still having issues with the installing addons, your antivirus software could be causing the issue. Here is a list of known antivirus software suites that are incompatible with the Curse Client:
- AVG Internet Security
- Kapersky Antivirus
- Comodo Internet Security
- ESET NOD32
- McAffee Internet Security
- Microsoft OneCare
- Norton Internet Security
Using the World of Warcraft Repair Tool
Many times the solution to this issue can be solved by simply using the integrated World of Warcraft repair tool. The tool is very easy to use. In the WoW startup screen (before game launch), go to Help->Repair Tool. When the tool pops up, click Repair in the bottom left corner. After completion, reinstall the Curse Client [here].