Saturday, December 05, 2009Client Installation Fails
If Curse Client v5 fails to install, it is usually due to Insufficient Permissions, a Misconfigured Internet Connection, a corrupted Microsoft ClickOnce app store, or a missing/corrupt install of Microsoft.Net. Just follow the instructions below.
If you continue to have issues, many times the issues is resolved by simply Updating Windows using the Windows integrated tool.
If you are installing Curse Client v5, and do not have administrative privileges, you can still install Curse Client v5 as long as your computer already has the Microsoft .Net Framework installed. Simply click this link (works best in Internet Explorer): Curse Client ClickOnce Installer
- From the Windows Start menu, look for the 'Internet Explorer' shortcut and click it. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, make sure that you launch 'Internet Explorer (64-bit)'.
- From the 'Tools' menu select 'Internet Options'
- Attempt to browse a web page, such as Curse.com. If the page loads continue to the next section, otherwise go to step 4.
- Select the 'Connections tab'
- Click the 'LAN settings' button
- Ensure that the settings are valid for your network
- Click the 'OK' buttons
- Attempt to browse a web page, such as Curse.com
- If the page loads, your connection has been corrected. If the page does not load, you should contact your Internet Service Provider for technical support.
- From the Windows Start menu choose Run (Or Windows Key + R)
- Enter the following, depending on your version of Windows, then click the OK button:
On Windows XP: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Apps
(e.g. C:\Documents & Settings\Username\Local Settings\Apps)
On Windows VISTA / 7: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps
- Delete the 2.0 folder
- Run or Install Curse Client v5
Curse Client v5 requires Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. Ideally, this is automatically installed for you by the Curse Client installer, if it is missing. In some rare cases, this process can fail, and .Net must be installed manually.
How to Install the .Net 3.5 Client Profile
Curse Client v5 uses a subset of the Microsoft.Net Framework, called the 'Client Profile'.
This can be installed from: Microsoft .NET Framework Client Profile Online Installer
How to Install the .Net 3.5 SP1
If this installation fails, you may need to run the full Microsoft.Net Framework installation.
This can be installed from: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
How to Cleanup a Corrupt .Net Framework
If the installation continues to fail, you may have to run the Microsoft.Net Cleanup Tool. This tool will remove .Net from your PC, and allow you to do a fresh .Net framework installation.
This can be downloaded from: .NET Framework Cleanup Tool