Thursday, December 03, 2009Internet Connection or Game Database Fails
When Curse Client v5 starts, if it fails the Internet Connection or Game Database steps, it can be due to a Misconfigured Internet Connection, a Corrupt Winsock Configuration or a Firewall / Security Application which is blocking the connection. It will produce a status screen like the one below:
- From the Windows Start menu, look for the 'Internet Explorer' shortcut and click it. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, make sure that you launch 'Internet Explorer (64-bit)'.
- From the 'Tools' menu select 'Internet Options'
- Attempt to browse a web page, such as Curse.com. If the page loads continue to the next section, otherwise go to step 4.
- Select the 'Connections tab'
- Click the 'LAN settings' button
- Ensure that the settings are valid for your network
- Click the 'OK' buttons
- Attempt to browse a web page, such as Curse.com
- If the page loads, your connection has been corrected. If the page does not load, you should contact your Internet Service Provider for technical support.
Microsoft has identified an issue which may prevent applications which utilize asynchronous connections from being able to establish a reliable Internet connection. For a details explanation, you can this Microsoft knowledge base article.
Fortunately, the fix is quite simple. Microsoft has created a tool to reset Winsock settings automatically. Simply download and run this Winsock repair tool from Microsoft.com: Microsoft FixIt
Firewall and Security Applications
To ensure that Curse Client v5 can connect, please check for any Internet security or firewall applications which may be running on your computer. Common security applications include:
- AVG Internet Security
- Kapersky Antivirus Suite
- Comodo Internet Security
- ESET NOD32
- McAffee Internet Security
- Microsoft OneCare
- Norton Internet Security